At the start of the World Forum for Democracy, Erin Lynch discusses how to make politics more attractive to young people.
The Torbay representative of the United Kingdom’s Youth Parliament (photo) says the drift away of disillusioned youth can only be halted if the mould of democratic politics, as we know it, is broken.
“Only 30% of 18-25 year olds vote,” she says. “What we need to be addressing is why the other 70% don’t vote.
“The challenge to democracy [is] involving young people and making the system legible and coherent for young people.”